1.11.2009

Building Amusement Parks in the Desert

I have been building an amusement park in the desert. And I sit back and wonder, confused, why no one comes to play there.
It's not a particularly amazing one, there's very few amenities, it's hot, dry, and the corn dogs are too greasy. The roller coaster ride is about 30 seconds long, and it's rickety as hell. The Ferris Wheel is powered by mules, who need a ten minute break every hour. There's a burlesque show in a tent, a guy just got beat up in the parking lot over a few stolen cans of beer, and everything is coated in dust.
But the interesting thing is, it's actually a pretty fun place to spend a day. There's something about it that really appeals to the Right Brain, the side not dedicated to the Larger Organizing Principle. There's a heartbeat to the place, and somehow, though you're tired, dusty, confused, and dizzy, it works. And you felt you've just done something positive, though you can't quite explain to your friends what in the hell you just did.
This is basically a metaphor for the making of El Segundo, and what it means in my life, and what it is on its own.
I built an amusement park in the desert, and I wonder why no one shows up. "If you build it, they will come," seems to apply mostly to ghosts. I have no regrets, I learned a lot, but lord knows I can't do that again. People will think I'm crazy. I suppose I should start caring about that.
Here's the thing, I spend hours these days staring at the computer, trying to learn new things, hoping this machine will show me the way to where I need to go, to supply me with the necessary programs to survive in these turbulent times, and somehow come out ahead of the game. But nothing comes, and I close the thing and look at it in disgust.
If you're with me say "holla!" As quietly or loudly as you see fit.

Well, if you want to see what this amusement park is like, go to
www.elsegundomovie.com
and order yourself a copy, or just click on the movie poster to your right===>>>

I built an amusement park in the desert, and I am grateful to all those who came and helped me build at one point or another. And I ride that pathetic rickety little roller coaster, alone, at night, shining in a state of grace. Res Ipsa Loquitur. The thing speaks for itself.

1 comment:

  1. Think about it like this--the amusement park in the desert was a model for the next one. You're gonna learn how to build a better roller coaster, get a corn dog machine that makes less greasy crap, and the animal costumes will be less creepy. The next one probably won't be perfect either, but it'll be better.

    ReplyDelete